Tuesday 29 August 2017

FOREST GREEN ROVERS     V     MK DONS
TUESDAY, AUGUST 8TH

Competition: Carabao (League) Cup, First Round
Ticket price: £12
Programme: £3
Attendance: 1,608
Half time score: 0-0
Full time score: 0-1 (After Extra Time)
Bird species: 49
Mileage: 377.9
Trip music: BBC Radio 6; Sound and Colour - Alabama Shakes.
 
 
BACKGROUND
I am a bit of an obsessive character to say the least. One of the ways this exhibits itself is in the fact I need to tick off every Football League ground. This includes sides that I have visited in Non League once they get promoted to The League. Sad, isn't it?!
 
To this end, Forest Green Rovers must be done in the 2017/18 season being as they won promotion to League Two via the play-offs last season. I used to do a new team's very first match in The League and it is tempting to do so in Forest Green's case but it clashes with FA Cup day so I plump for their second ever game: a home tie in the League Cup. Unlike a normal Tuesday - when I can pick a game where the birds are - this ties me down to a specific area of the country, limiting my birding options. The stage is set for a trip to the south-west.
 
 
THE BIRDS
There's really only one choice of venue for some pre-match birding and that is Ham Wall and the surrounding expanses of The Avalon Marshes. Seven species of heron bred on site this year! I am probably too late to connect with some of them but there's always something to see in this fabulous area. When I mention this trip to Tottenham Tim, he immediately asks if he can tag along and then books a ticket for the game!
 
Traffic on the M42 around Birmingham is horrendous, not helped by torrential rain. It's a good job we have all day because it takes a massive four hours to complete the trek to Meare. The silver lining is that by the time I pull up in the reserve's car park, the sun is out and it is pleasantly warm (Tottenham Tim declares it "chilly"). There's a pond dipping event for children just about to start but TT shuns the idea of joining them to try for a few new species!
 
 
A map of Ham Wall reserve, just a small part of the extensive Avalon Marshes
 
 
There are lots of small birds in the hedgerows along the main path. Blue, Great and Long-tailed Tits seem to have had a good breeding season and there are plenty of 'tacking' Blackcaps in the Brambles. The first viewing platform is very quiet, so we continue along the main track towards the second viewpoint.
 
On the way, we encounter a large group of Mute Swans in a very narrow channel. Wardens have counted up to 36 in one place but we only see 16. It is still an odd sight, though, and they are making a heck of a mess on the bank. They pay no heed as we pass within feet of them, as they preen in a group. I have often wondered if birds itch like crazy when moulting their feathers.
 
 
Part of the herd of preening Mute Swans
 
"I do balancing tricks too..."
 
Messy bugger but she looks so proud!
 
 
A gap in the hedge allows a scan of an otherwise hidden pool. There's no sign of the usual, semi-resident Glossy Ibis but a few Black-tailed Godwits - in varying states of moult and plumages - and Lapwings are a stunning sight in the sun. Great White and Little Egrets are standing side by side for an excellent comparison.
 
Great Egrets have bred at Ham Wall for the last two or three years now: a welcome addition to the British breeding avifauna. This once rare species is now almost guaranteed on this reserve for those who wish to see one. It is also strange to think that when I first took up the hobby, Little Egret was a rarity in Britain. I remember standing for three hours at Frampton Marsh waiting for my first one to hop out of a ditch. They are now on virtually every marsh and gravel pit and breed in my home county of Nottinghamshire!
 
 
My record shot of a Great (White) Egret
 
 
A somewhat better shot of a GWE copyright of John Crispin
 
I settle onto the benches of the second viewing platform for a leisurely scan of the marsh. The scrape is covered with birds but there's still no sign of the Glossy Ibis. A fellow scanner finds a Kingfisher on a pool behind the platform and I am able to set up my spotting 'scope and show the bird to several passers by. It is always a thrill to share birds, especially iconic ones such as Kingfisher. It's just a pity this one is too far away to take a picture of.
 
 
Not the bird from Ham Wall but one taken earlier in the year at Top Hill Low, Yorkshire.
 
Meanwhile, the marsh at the front of the platform produces a displaying pair of Sparrowhawks, a Marsh Harrier, a Kestrel, a Peregrine and a prolonged, but distant, view of a flying Bittern. A couple of Great White Egrets show along the rear bank and I can hear some Bearded Tits calling close by.  To complete the picture, a good number of Lapwings and Gadwalls are also constantly on show. It's all go!
 
 
2nd Viewing platform
 
A Bittern in flight, copyright of Jon Crispin
 
Marsh Harrier by John Crispin
 
 
We take a stroll further long the path to find the spot where Little Bitterns bred this year. I am looking for the famous 'ambulance' but am dubious as to the accuracy of this description. Sure enough, about 500 yards down the track Tottenham Tim espies an old ambulance plonked on the edge of the marsh! I think we are too late to see this elusive species but make a mental note in case I visit next year.
 
We wander back towards the car, scanning marshes and reedbeds we had searched on the way own. Cetti's Warblers shout from deep undergrowth and Reed Warblers scold us from reeds and bushes. We divert off the path to take a look what we can find from Avalon Hide.
 
The swans are still pulling out feathers and generally making a mess. It is really quite warm now and the shade of the hide is very welcome. More Great and Little Egrets are seen flying over the marsh and I glimpse a Bearded Tit as it zips from one patch of reeds to another, 'ping-pinging' as it goes.
 
The view from Avalon Hide. Glastonbury Tor is visible from most of the Avalon Marshes sites.
 
Great Egret in flight by John Crispin
 
I am getting tired now. I don't know why because I haven't walked that far, but I am! I make an effort to get to the viewing screen along Reedbed Tail and am rewarded with closer views of the Marsh Harrier and a delightful family of Tufted Ducks.
 
 
Now that chick is cute!
 
 
The final stop on this amazing reserve is back at Platform One. However, a reed cutter is busy at work in front of the viewpoint and I am about to leave straight away when the thought strikes me that the noisy machine could put up anything at any moment!

Sure enough, the elusive Glossy Ibis is flushed from a hidden pool and flies towards us. Fortunately, it lands on a grassy patch in front of the platform and shows for a few seconds. This species can look very dark but when the sun catches its feathers, it is a glorious mix of bronze and green. It then flies off once more, heading towards the Avalon Hide. TT also finds another posing Kingfisher. Job done!

 
Useful reed cutting/bird flushing machine
 
 

 
Disturbed by the reed cutting machine (by John Crispin)!
 
Time is pressing; I had wanted to have a look for waders on Meare Heath but several people had already told me that water levels were high on that marsh. There is time, however, for a very quick look on Westhay Moor, just up the road, where Black-crowned Night-Herons have bred this year.
Ten minutes later, TT and I pull into the rough car park. A Reed Warbler is feeding on blackberries by the gate, which is a nice start to the visit.
 
 
 
 
 
  A quick visit to two hides on the reserve reveals very few birds of note. I find the hide where the Night-Herons have been seen but don't expect to encounter any at this hour of day. Dusk is the prime time but I will be at a match by then!
 
 
 The marsh reminds me of a typical American landscape; dead trees (or 'snags' as the Yanks call them) dotted around reed-lined pools. I half expect to find an Empid flycatcher perched on a dead branch!
 
 
At 5.00pm, it is definitely time to head north for the second phase of the day. Tim and I have notched up 49 species of birds, some of which would have been classed as seriously rare when I first started birding and many a-person would still like to see in this country.


   
 THE FOOTBALL
For some reason, Jane SatNav wants to take me through the centre of Bristol. I ignore her several times and think I am on the right road but ignore her at one junction too many and end up in horrendous rush hour traffic in the city centre anyway. At least I can show Tottenham Tim the SS Great Britain as we pass by at an injured snail's pace.
 
FGR = Fecking Greedy Robdogs
It has started to rain again by the time we reach The New Lawn, home of Forest Green Rovers. The last time I was here, I breezed straight into the car park. Not this time; signs are up telling me I will have to pay a fiver for that privilege. This puts FGR in the unwelcome bracket of 'Rob Dogs' in my book, so I park on a side street instead.
 
TT and I have already printed off our tickets for this evening's match, so we don't have to join the queues to collect them. Except there are no queues: it seems this Caracrappio Cup match (or whatever the League Cup is known as these days) has not captured the imagination of the Nailsworth locals.
 
Thanks to my route via Bristol, I haven't had time to stop for food on the way to the game.  Usually this is not a problem on matchday but The New Lawn is famously vegan, thanks to a decree by the owner, Dale Vince, that his ground should be meat free (including meals for the players).
 
In fact this is the only stadium in the world to have EMAS accreditation - the Gold Standard of environmental management - and is described by FIFA as the greenest club in the world. Vince plans to take these green credentials one step further by building a new stadium made entirely out of sustainably-grown wood. On the downside, this would mean me having to visit this new Eco Park ground just to keep up my League Ground record, the third venue I will have seen FGR play at!
 
No exactly cutting the atmosphere with a knife!
 
 
10 ways in which FGR help preserve the environment
There's a large sign on the outside of the main stand detailing every energy saving feature of The New Lawn. These include electric car charging points in the club car park, a ground-based solar power system, recycling waste cooking oil as a biofuel, capturing rainwater and all water that goes onto the pitch, a robotic mower, a tractor that runs on biofuel, an organic pitch and provision of wildlife habitats. Tottenham Tim quips that he hopes the goal nets are dolphin friendly. How droll.
 
Given my passion for nature and conservation, I should really love Forest Green Rovers. I don't: they are a nothing club in the middle of nowhere with very little support and I begrudge wasting Non League time by being here. Having said that, FGR have a bigger place in my heart than tonight's opponents: MK Dons.
 
Electric car charging points at the ground
The Dons famously upset almost everyone in football by relocating Wimbledon from their Plough Lane home in South London to the National Hockey Stadium in Milton Keynes. In my opinion, and in most football fans' opinions, the club should have started life in the lower echelons of Non League and not been allowed into The League on the back of Wimbledon's potential demise. It was a scandalous decision when it was made in 2004 and it still rankles with true football fans to this day. So, this is a tie in an unloved competition between two unlikeable teams on a wet Tuesday night. How could this be worse?
 
Which brings me neatly on to food! I enter the clubhouse, which is packed with people. Most are here for the range of ciders and real ale on offer. The serving hatch is not very busy and when I see the veggie burgers and Quorn pies for sale, I can understand why. I have to settle for a chip cob (or bap or roll depending on your local dialect!) for another Rob Dog price of £3.20.
 
I then go in search of a teamsheet. There is chaos in the main office: the usual excuse about the computer system being down and a queue of very disgruntled home fans. I head upstairs to find the Press Box, where a spare teamsheet is normally to be found. Instead, I manage to scrounge one from a nice girl in a Hospitality Box.
 
The return route takes me through a busy Carol Emley Suite where I find a much more appetising range of food on offer. It seems to be going down nicely with punters, too.
 
An extensive vegan menu is on offer in the Carol Emley Suite.
 
 
Before kick off, I just have time to read through the glossy programme. It doesn't take long to complete the task. Most of it is about selling people stuff - hospitality, mascot packages, a video game of virtual football, etc. - and portrays no semblance of a love of football like a good programme should. In essence, it is a glossy corporate brochure that fits in perfectly with this bland, wafer-thin football club.
 
I take my place in the East Stand near the halfway line. I am surrounded by fans wearing hats and gloves on this decidedly mild evening, whereas I am in shirt sleeves and enjoying being at a pleasant temperature for once. Having said that, it has been remarked on more than one occasion: "Neil, you are not normal".
 
From my position in the main stand along one touchline, I can see covered terraces behind each goal - League Two clubs are allowed to have areas that aren't seated -while the terrace opposite is open to the elements. I bet Dons fans are relieved it has stopped raining! 
 
 
 
The Main Stand
 

 
 
 
It's always the away fans without cover.
 
MK Dons start off the game with some very slick football. FGR just about cling on but they do insist on giving away the ball at alarmingly regular intervals. Despite their dominance, The Dons do not trouble their host's goalkeeper. In fact, you can judge for yourselves just how dreary this game is by the fact the first save a 'keeper has to make comes in the 73rd minute. All I can hear is Tottenham Tim muttering: please don't go to extra time; please don't go to extra time..." as the inevitable drifts ever nearer.
 
Sigh
 
And then the inevitable happens: the final whistle on 90 minutes with the score resolutely stuck at 0-0. All I want to do is scuttle home and TT looks as if he's about to commit suicide but I am determined to stick this out to the bitter end.
 
To be fair, extra time is quite lively, thank goodness. Both sides attack as if they actually want to win the tie but it is the Abominations from Milton Keynes who sneak into the next round. Gboly Ariyibi cuts in from the left and curls in a beautiful, unstoppable shot. This begs the question: why the heck didn't he do this in the ninety minutes of normal time and save us all a bit of anguish?!
 
Anyway, we are finally unleashed from the torture and gingerly make our way home through yet more torrential rain. The only consolation is that I need never darken the door of FGR again. Until they relocate to their new stadium...
 
 
 Many thanks to John Crispin for letting me use his excellent bird shots from Ham Wall RSPB
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment